Monday, September 12, 2011

Awsomely un-awsome

I mentioned in an earlier post that PUSH notifications are excellent on the iPhone.   However there is a limitation within the iOS software

Android and iOS can have multiple apps open at once.   For example, if you open you skype app to chat, then move onto a game, the Skype app is still open.

Here is the problem.  iOS will shut down your app after a period of it not being used, in order to save memory and battery.   This is bad because it has also shut down the PUSH notifications I mentioned earlier.

So if my buddy Skype's me in the morning, it will not come through on my phone because iOS shut it down in order to improve battery life.

Android deals with this by making certain apps "un-shut-down-able."  To force an app to stay open, it simply puts an icon in the notification bar.   This is good because you will ALWAYS get your notifications of messages, but bad because it clutters the notification bar.

I prefer the android way because you have the CHOICE to keep an app open, even though it will affect battery life.

No comments:

Post a Comment