Friday, September 2, 2011

Things I like about iOS

I posted a negative post about the iPhone setup yesterday, so here is a positive one with three separate points

Apps - 
  I believe the app store for the iPhone contains some higher quality apps than the android market.   I haven't actually paid for any games (and I don't plan to), but the free games I've downloaded, and some of the paid games I've seen screenshot for look outstanding.   That being said, there are alot of apps I feel are missing from the app store.

  I feel that there are very very few FREE apps in the Apple appstore.   In the Google Marketplace you can find a free app to do almost anything, in the Apple appstore, it seems that only the most basic of apps are free.
  Also missing are apps that I absolutely love for my android phone.  Here are a few that I've noticed in the last 18 hours, just to name a few.

Chrome to phone
Tasker
MightyText
Juice Defender
Data Counter Widget

I'm going to "jump to conclusions" and say that while the Apple appstore contains a greater number of apps, the android marketplace contains a greater variety of useful* apps, ESPECIALLY when it comes to free apps.  Of course there are exceptions and I reserve the right to change my mind as the month continues, netflix for example)

*useful as determined by me.

LCD - 
  The screen that comes with the iPhone 4 is really bright and does not "washout" in sunlight.   It is also significantly higher resolution than industry standard (326 ppi vs about 180 ppi).  
  This however comes down to somebodies individual choice.  I do not feel that a screen that looks good under a microscope is necessary on a mobile phone, I feel like it would have been a better choice to go with a larger screen as opposed to a higher resolution.
  Anybody in the market for a phone needs to checkout Samsungs Super AMOLED+ screens.  The screens are absolutely beautiful and there is no comparison, even to a phone with higher resolution.   However, the downside to the technology is that they get dim when in direct sunlight.  If that bothers you, then choose something else.

Battery - For test purposes I left the phone on over night.   It only dropped 5% of its battery, which is quite impressive.   I did notice instantly yesterday, that when the phone is actually being used, there is nothing special about the battery.   I played with the phone for 3 hours last night and managed to drain the battery from 60% to 20%.   Today, while on wifi, the phone dropped from 70% to 10% over the course of 6 hours(keep in mind I use the crap out of my phones).   This is no different than any android phone I have ever owned, and might even be a little bit worse.
  Iphones are often noted for their excellent battery life.   I have formed the conclusion this only applies to a phone that is not used.

3 comments:

  1. Netflix IS available for Android now.. But you may be aware of that.. couldn't tell from your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, but for how many phones? I think it is officially supported around 10 phones, and there are probably 200 versions of different android phones out there.

    The netflix app works on any phone running 2.3, you just can't find it in the market. it eve runs on some 2.2 phones and most of the tablets.

    Does anybody else have examples from the Apple appstore of really cools apps android doesn't have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using my phone for work, where I'd receive 20 calls a day and probably make another 20 calls, but didn't talk all day, my battery would run out in about 8 hours. That's a good excuse not to work more than 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete