Thursday, September 1, 2011

Simple setup?

  In order to be able to better speak from experience and to jump start this blog, I'm going to spend 30 days using an iphone 4.  I will commit to posting one topic per day, detailing at least one pro and one con.  Long term this blog will discuss android and iphone tech, software and all topics related to both platforms.

The setup of my iphone was surprisingly complicated for a phone advertised as "simple".   The AT&T store turned on the phone and did an initial setup for me.   The sales rep said the phones came from the factory "bricked" until they are activated in the AT&T store.  That is fine, it took an extra 10 minutes to setup and I was on my way.

I had to create an app store account to begin to download apps, but Apple wanted all sorts of information from me.  Here is what it asked for

Phone number - I had to enter the phone number into my phone.  Why couldn't it just import my phone number from the phone?
Home address - Why does apple need my home address?  Would a zip code suffice?  Are they going to send me junkmail?
Username - simple enough
password - The password needed to be 8 digits, non-sequential, no words, super complicated.   Come on, this is a phone not a bank!  This is important and I will tell you all within the next couple posts.
Secret question/answer - fine with me!
Spam - it auto signed me up for apple spam, which I was able to decline.  TWICE!  It then tried to get me to sign up for spam again later!
Credit card - The phone give the initial impression that a CC is required.   In order to select "none" you have to click on the drop down menu, scroll to the bottom and select none.   I feel that "none" should be the default.

After you enter all the information above, you have to verify the email on the account(which is understandable, but still complicated).

The final step in creating your app store account is to download itunes to your computer(which took another 10 mintues to download/install) then plug your phone into said computer.

Only after ALL the above is complete, do you have access to the app store.
___________________________________________________________________
Allow me to explain the android process in equivalent detail.

You can buy a phone at the store and walk away without having to get it activated at the store.  Most all stores will open it to make sure it works, however if you ask them not to open it they dont have to.

You can then turn on the phone and either login or create a google account.  If you already have one, you enter your login and password and your good to go.   If you need to create an account, you enter the following:

your first and last name -ok
a unique username - ok
8 letter password - it can be anything, including 12345678 or 11111111
A secondary email - not sure why?
then do a word verification and your good to go.

It does not ask for CC information, no spam, or email verification.  You dont have to download any software for your computer, etc.

With the google account, it automatically gives you the option to start syncing your calendar, gmail, contacts, picasa, etc.  The iphone currently does this via a USB sync to itunes, more on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment