Monday, September 26, 2011

I know where you are....

One of the things I don't understand about my iPhone is why i have to tell the phone where I am.  The prime example is the stock weather app.

When you open up the app, the stock location is Cupertino (Apple headquarters)

Why do I have to tell the weather app the location that I want the weather, doesn't the phone know where I am?

The fox news app is the same way.

On android, the weather updates based on what city your in.   If your in Hillsboro traveling to vancouver, it will update as you go along.

Other apps have "check-in" ability.  Those apps know exactly where you are.

I suspect that Apple has dis-allowed the less accurate method of triangulation to find location.   Think of it this way.  GPS can target your location to a 9 foot circle, using accurate sensors and things that use battery.   Cell tower triangulation uses no additional battery, but provides a 500' circle in which you are in.  Its close enough to know what city your in with no tax to the battery.

Weird.....

No comments:

Post a Comment