Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dont Curb-stomp your phone

When I buy a phone they often ask me if I would like insurance.   The answer is ALWAYS:

"Why yes, yes I do."

Being the super-user that I am and working in a semi hazerdous industry (construcion) I have the tendency to destroy my phones pretty good.    I am what insurance companies would call a "high risk user."

Over the past 2 years I have had 3 insurance claims.   I dropped my Nexus One face down on a foundation, cracking the screen.   I fell into a GIANT box of water with my Evo 4g.   I cracked the screen on my infuse carrying heavy boxes around and putting pressure on my pocket. 

Stuff happens.

Speaking of stuff, my wife full on dropped an insured phone into a porta-poddy at Octoberfest this year.   That is number 4 in 30 months.

My point is this.   Mobile insurace is a good buy for android phones.   AT&T charges $5/month, with a $125 deductable when you destroy, lose, or have a phone stolen.   If you multiply it out ($5x30 months + 4x$125) the total is $650.   So for $650 I have recieved approximatly $1600 worth of benefit.

The iPhone is differnt, this is not an opinion, it is a statement of fact.

The insurance cost for an iPhone is $13/month plus $200 deductable when you have a claim.   Lets say I destroy 4 iPhones in 30 months.   The total cost is 30x$13 plus 4x$200 = $1190.   Sure, iPhones are more costly to begin with, but the similar scenereo is almost DOUBLE.

If you were buying a car and had to get insurance, which car would you buy?   Android car insurance is $59/month and iPhone car insurance is $130/month.

No comments:

Post a Comment